Hell's Shower... A Weekend Excursion.

I'm Living at a Sewing Centre:

My house has now also become a sewing centre!  A 9 month dream became a reality  after Jody returned to the U.S. with a mission to gather a team of women to help support one of the aunties of our orphans to start  a business.  Knowing she was a good tailor, the women decided to raise funds through their friends and relatives to buy her a sewing machine.

Three weeks after our auntie received the news that the sewing machine was coming, Jody received word that a boutique was opening locally and requested hand-made purses from Kenya!

So today after getting home from my weekend adventure at Hell's Gate, I heard the whir of a woman working her new machine!  It gave me so much joy to come home to that sound!  With this new source of income, our friend will now be able to support the orphans in her family.
















Conquering Hell's Gate...


...or rather, as I sit here with aching muscles, I'm thinking Hell's Gate conquered me! Pippa and I, my really cool British neighbor, headed two hours up to Lake Naivasha for a weekend of R & R.  Instead of driving into Hell's Gate National park, we decided to park the car and cycle.

Twelve kilometers later, and not to mention, rock climbing through a steep gorge, we returned to the car caked head to foot with sand, dirt in our teeth, and wobbly legs, and one badly stubbed toe (pole Pippa =)  But it was TOTALLY worth it.

The funnest part of the excursion was trying to skirt all the very enthusiastic trail guides, managing to tag along with the funniest team of Kenyans, who I might add, had just participated in a wheel barrow race...in the Bush.  And we topped it off by burning our feet in hot, volcanic water streaming down the gorge walls, and laughing at pumbas (wort hogs) racing away from us with tails straight up in the air and their bums to us.


Lots of humour, lots of sun, and now lots of pain.

Mama Wangari's Mzungu Daughter:

After returning from lake Naivasha, I knew I couldn't end the day without greeting Mama Wangari, my kind and portly landlady.
Knowing how social she was and that her house helper was away, I knew she'd be lonely.  So up I went for a "short" visit.  Two hours later, I had learned how to clean and prepare doma (a type of root, popular with Kikuyus), had coffee with her, washed all her dishes, and had been told that I now qualified to be her Mzungu house helper, more specifically her Kikuyu daughter.  In the spirit of laughter, Mama Wangari phoned her house helper to tease her that she was being replaced by Mama Wangari's Mzungu daughter.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did You Know You Are God's Gardener?

Jody Returns to Kenya!

Dancing with Granny and Chasing Bats