Christianity Is Not A Popularity Contest

Recently God was reminding me of a conversation I had with Him years ago while living in Kenya. “Christianity is not a popularity contest.”  Those were the words that He spoke to me one evening as I tried to understand why I had not been invited to the farewell party.  Even though I had been in Kenya as an independent missionary (not with an official agency), several months prior I had been welcomed into a weekly worship gathering comprised of people from various mission’s agencies.  It was a God-send at the time as I was feeling lonely and isolated.  A typical worship night would begin with a game of volley ball followed by a very meaningful time of worship and prayer. 

After several months of attending this gathering, one of the single missionaries was returning to the U.S. and threw a party.  It seemed like everyone in the prayer group, including my house mate, was invited except me.  As I stewed over my hurt feelings that night, and some may say even rightly so, God made it clear that Christianity was not about being popular.  God was not going to allow me to wallow in a self-pity party.  Wanting to be liked is not bad in and of itself, but it should never be the thing that determines our self-worth.  God wasn’t going to allow me to go there.  He was reminding me that I was already loved and accepted and that following Jesus meant not always being liked by others; at times, not even by other Christians. 

Recently, my husband and I read a blog about how today’s young adults don’t like Christians. What was once popular is no longer the case. With increased hostility toward Christians, we more than ever need to have our eyes fixed on what is eternal, Christ and His purposes.  In 2 Corinthians 2:18 it says, “So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”  The approval of man is temporary.

I am grateful for how God responded to me that evening.  He was reminding me of my standing in Him and in so doing to continue looking to the eternal and unseen.  In light of His eternal purposes and plans I was able to forgive and let it go and most importantly, continue to love as He had called me to love my brothers and sisters in Christ. 

Jesus in Matthew 6 tells His disciples to pray to God in secret and not pray  in the open to be praised by man.  Those who look to the things that are seen have their reward in this life only.  Our reward is in heaven.  We don’t need the praise or approval of men.  Christianity is not about others noticing us.  Because our value is in being loved by God, fully accepted through the blood of Christ, and completely loved and accepted by God, we are free to live to please our Father in Heaven, who will one day reward us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did You Know You Are God's Gardener?

Jody Returns to Kenya!

Dancing with Granny and Chasing Bats