Amani (Peace) in Kenya


Hello family and friends!  
This week millions went to the polls to elect a new President.  Despite tribalism and grievances from the past, God was gracious and answered our pleas for peace!  

After the advise of several friends and family, I choice to spend election week away from voting centers. The Lord renewed and refreshed me in time spent at the Resurrection Prayer Garden and nunnery. It was also quite humorous,  as I was the only woman there along with a  group of men who were on a silent retreat.  It was hilarious, me sitting in the cafeteria eating at a table by myself, looking at the clock, twiddling my thumbs as men silently walked past with plates of food, all giving glances in my direction. 

It was heaven until about the third day, when I could no longer take the silence and solitude, at which time I went to a friend's house at a Christian College next door.

There I enjoyed the company of Liam (6), Lila (9), Kiara (12), and their mum and dad Ben & Christi.  I read stories by budding authoresses, Kiara and Lila and was shown all the best trees on campus to climb by Liam.
I enjoyed movie day with Christi, who was recovering from knee surgery and swimming in a large country club pool which Ben kindly drove me to.  And of course, Taco Night with seminary students from around the world was definitely a highlight.  

This morning I had the privilege of serving on our worship team and all of us could sense the gratitude on the hearts of God's people as we had witnessed His answer to our prayers.  The Pastor then spoke from Acts 14, about entering into hardship and pain with Christ's deep joy. Later today, I came across this poem as I was searching the internet.


I felt like God was telling me, "Christy, my peace does not mean the absence of troubles.  My peace means your comfort (calmness of heart) is in the arms of your loving Savior."  It really made my heart truly love God back and thank Him for making His comforting presence so real to us these past couple of weeks.

Now I'm back in my cozy apartment in Jamhuri Estate, just minutes walk from Kibera slum, which, apart from a few demonstrations, was relatively quiet this past week.

We continue to pray for peace, as the presidential candidate who lost is contesting the election results and his actions will determine how his supporters respond.  If he maintains peace and decorum, his supporters will do the same.  If he encourages decent, then his followers will resort to violence.

Thanks to all who have been on their knees for peace.  But ultimately, our hearts yearn for Christ's transformation in millions of lives.  God used the evil of the past to drive us to our knees to earnestly pray for Kenyan to seek God with all their hearts. We continue to meet and pray for this and we thank God for the added bonus of peaceful elections.  Please remember Kenya in your prayers, for forgiveness of past wrongs and ethnic reconciliation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did You Know You Are God's Gardener?

Jody Returns to Kenya!

Dancing with Granny and Chasing Bats