Every tribe and language and people and nation...


Nairobi is such a unique blend of multinationals as well as a wonderful mixture of Kenyans from a variety of backgrounds, including the Kenyan diaspora who have returned to their country.  My first week back involved being a part of this rich multicultural setting.

A respected colleague of mine flew up from South Africa and had me co-train with her an Indian family recently arrived from Dubai.  

The first day we trained the mother and she was so delightful and open to new ideas and cultures.  It was great to see how well she was adjusting.  But I recognized God's hand in her life to bring her many friends to help her through the cultural challenges of living in a foreign land.

The next day we trained the father at his office.  He was so open to sharing about his experiences with us.  At one point he told us, "I'm just going to use you guys as my sounding board, a kind of counselor."   One of my greatest joys is seeing someone get one step closer to working through the cultural barriers and this man really was working at it!

The final day, we got to train the children, ages 10 and 16.  It was my first time to do a cross-cultural training for children and I loved it!  Like their parents, they were so open and honest and it was a joy to coach them!  Of all the family, the teenage daughter was struggling the most, as is typical of teens adjusting, not only to a new school and city, but a culture where the rules are completely different and unknown.  

I was impressed with the family's support of each other and the strong father/daughter bond that existed.

When we were going through the line of family members, saying our good-byes, the grandma, grabbed me by my arm and pulled me in for a big embrace.  As she did this she said, "You are my grand daughter!"

That won my heart for sure!  (Not just all the curry they had served us.)
Before entering their Hindu home, I had first prayed that Christ's love would be evident in our lives as we interacted with them.  This hug told me that God had done His work!  She had seen His love in me!

When God first called me to Kenya one of the verses He gave me referred to this rich cultural mix: 
"...you were slain, and with your blood you have purchased men for God from every tribe and language and people and nation." Rev 5:9









After my three weeks back in Kenya, working with Hindus, Muslims, Indians, Americans, people from Sierra Lione, and Kenyans, I was again reminded of the unique opportunity we have in Nairobi to reach nations for Christ as we work with people from every tribe, and language, and people, and nation.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did You Know You Are God's Gardener?

Jody Returns to Kenya!

Dancing with Granny and Chasing Bats