My Trip to Kurungu

Missionary friends, Monica,Walter and Caleb invited me to journey with them to visit the Samburu Tribe.  They are a pastoral community struggling to find new sources of income. I went because I was interested in meeting the women to see if their bead work could be used for a shoe business idea I had.
Entrepreneurs, Isaac and Daniel also came on the trip to work on their community pepper farm.

 We all were beginning to wonder if it was a sign from God to turn back after two hours into the trip, the trailer lost a tire. An hour and half later, we were back on the muddy roads.


 It is amazing what you can get through from sheer determination! Walter managed to meuver their four wheel drive through this flooded, dirt road.  It was quite an adrenaline rush as the passing truck produced a wake that flooded the hood!
 Fortunately, and I think more by God's grace, we got through the river and the deep mud without stalling or getting stuck!  Traveling Kenya's rural dirt roads in rainy season definitely proved to be an adventure!



Finally in Karungu, we were greeted by the many colors and bright smiles of the Samburu people.


The next day I visited Gabriella who trains the women in Bible and prayer every Wednesday.  Her and her husband, Isaiah, are good examples to the community of how to love your wife and respect your husband.  I also knew she and the women did a lot of bead work.


 Sho-sho (grandma) brought out their necklaces and other artwork.


After hours spent with Gabriella's children, I finally got the shy ones on camera!


Then the children gave me an impromptu language lesson.  Children can be wonderful teachers!  We had a lot of fun.


 Meanwhile, Gabriella milked the goat to prepare chai (tea).




The next day, the guys took a break from their community project to build a dam and created a great swimming hole!


My last day, I got to meet Garbriella's women and shared my shoe business idea with them. They were so excited to begin the work of making ladies sandals!


Then it was "good-bye" to my new Samburu friends.


 I was fortunate to catch a ride on the African Inland Mission (AIM) plane.  I'm grateful to all the AIM pilots and mechanics for serving the Body of Christ in Africa!


Here is our pilot, Chris, fueling the plane with a hand pump out on the sand airstrip.


The rainbow on the way back reminded me that God keeps His promises to help the poor (psalm 12)!


"...I have heard the groans of the poor.  Now I will rise up to rescue them, as they have longed for me to do." The Lord's promises are pure, like silver refined in a furnace, purified seven times over."
Psalm 12:6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did You Know You Are God's Gardener?

Jody Returns to Kenya!

Dancing with Granny and Chasing Bats